Everyone Is An Athlete.
- Eat 2-4 hours before kick-off
- High Carbohydrate (complex): Cereals, oatmeal, bread, bagels, Potatoes, graham crackers
- Medium Protein: eggs, yogurt
- Low fat and low fiber
- 400-700 calories
- Eat familiar foods!
- Drink 16 ounces of water 2 hours before the game
- Sip water until game begins
During the Game
It is an excellent idea to sip diluted juices or sports drink at half time. This will ensure hydration and help keep glucose (carbohydrate) levels high.
Post Game Nutrition: Eat 30 Minutes After the Game and Again 2 Hours Later
- High Carbohydrate (1.5 grams of carbohydrate/kg of body weight)
- Medium Protein (.5 grams of protein/kg of body weight)
- Low Fat
- Plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables
When you play two or three games in a day it is impossible to meet this post game guideline until the end of the day.
A solution between games: sip water throughout the day and consume carbohydrate foods that enter the blood stream quickly and do not bother your stomach. Some examples: sports drinks, fruit juices, white bread, graham crackers, watermelon. Carbohydrates provide energy AND act like a sponge to pull water into your muscle cells. Remember: a 2% LOSS of body weight can impair performance.